We are an association of Manual Lymphatic Drainage practitioners, from different professional backgrounds, and exist to promote the development of Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD). All practising members are required to update their practice by attending a review class at least every two years.
Our objectives are to:
- Ensure a high standard of MLD is practised by requiring that members have undertaken adequate training.
- Further the skills and knowledge of MLD therapists through the notification of training courses and the provision of information.
- Promote the education of health professionals with regard to MLD.
- Raise awareness of the general public of the existence of MLD and its therapeutic applications.
- Participate in and encourage research into the effects of MLD.
- Maintain and distribute a register of MLD therapists according to the categories of membership and conditions set out in the constitution.
- Hold meetings for the members to promote the aims of the group.
- Develop and make available a database of information and research.
MLDUK is a Company limited by guarantee. The Board of Trustees/Directors meet at least four times a year, one of which is the Annual General Meeting.
We publish a register of MLD practitioners, which lists member’s names, Town/City of practice, telephone number(s) and professional qualifications. Members may choose not to be on the register if they do not want to accept enquiries from the general public. This register is circulated to all members, to interested organisations, such as the lymphoedema clinics, and to all who may enquire about MLD.
A quarterly newsletter is produced and members are encouraged to submit articles, case histories and letters for publication. A telephone Helpline is available for all members who need advice on particular cases.
For Member DLT (Decongestive Lymphatic Therapy) and Member level of membership the annual fee is £75.00; for Students and Friends the fee is £35. Fees are payable on 1st April each year. For more information, please contact the admin office at email@example.com. A Membership Application can be downloaded here. (Requires Adobe pdf reader.)
MLDUK accepts members on documentary proof of the above qualifications. It does not seek to assess the individual abilities of each member and therefore accepts no responsibility for the competence of the practitioner.
Patron: Peter S. Mortimer MD, FRCP, Professor of Dermatological Medicine
Therapists who are considering undertaking a course in Manual Lymphatic Drainage should carefully consider how and where they intend to practise.
At present, MLDUK maintains a register of therapists who have gained certification from teachers accredited by the Casley-Smith, Foeldi, Leduc or Vodder schools. Only these therapists have been adequately prepared to treat people with lymphoedema and other health problems. They may be employed to work in hospitals or hospices.
Other training methods exist which purport to affect the lymphatic system may be useful in beauty therapy or for relaxation. However, it is important to note that such courses will not lead to registration by MLDUK, which is now becoming recognised as the most reliable source of adequately-trained MLD therapists.
IMPORTANT NOTE: LYMPHOEDEMA
“Member DLT” next to an entry in the lists indicates a therapist whose MLD qualification includes DLT - Decongestive Lymphatic Therapy - and is therefore fully trained to treat people with lymphoedema.
There are five categories of membership:
- Member DLT
- A member holding full qualifications in MLD including training in DLT - Decongestive Lymphatic Therapy - in one or more of these methods.
- A member holding intermediate qualifi- cations in one or more of these methods.
- A member holding a Vodder qualification in the treatment of the face and neck
- A member who has undertaken a basic course in one or more of these methods. Not listed on this site.
- A member who has an interest in the Association and its activities. Not listed on this site.